Groups of 4-5 students worked collaboratively using limited materials (including black paper, tin foil, cardboard boxes, and a few other items you will see in the photos below). The project is part of a Weather and Atmosphere Unit and is assessed using a rubric (that is education jargon the criteria that are used to measure the project). The project requirements include a written description, a data table, and construction criteria:
- Oven must cook two s’mores at the same time.
- Oven must be no larger than 40 cm x 40 cm.
- Temperature inside the box must increase by 15oC in 10 minutes.
- Food may not touch the bottom of the oven directly.
- The two s’mores must cook at two different heights.
Today was a great day for cooking--the ovens in this group were able to go up 24 degrees!
|Ovens were made of a limited number of materials|
|The temperature of the oven needed to increase by 15 degrees|